Heather Vreeland | Business & Bright Ideas

Just common-sense solutions for your small business in the 21st century. You don't have to be a genius to take your business to the next level, but you might have to grasp the idea that it may not be the market, rather your marketing, that's got you stuck in a rut.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Just when you thought magazines were useless....

Let's get one thing straight: It's not my intention to use this blog to sell advertising. Yes, I sell advertising for a living, but rather than push my product, I'm just trying to bring light to an industry that always gets heat because people just don't understand it.

But today, I'm here to tell you that apparently advertising, more specifically print, does work. I experienced the results myself . ;-)

Well not directly myself, but indirectly of sorts. It was my magazine after all.

Each month, on the third Wednesday my company and fellow publisher friend Linda Surles of Atlanta Bride and Groom Planner co-host a networking luncheon for our advertisers and prospective clients in the Atlanta Wedding Industry. We meet A LOT of folks! Today was especially unique because I met a new woman, an event planner and she had an interesting story for me.

Last week she was in Priscilla of Boston in Buckhead and picked up OCCASIONS Magazine and was stunned because she'd never seen it before (I'm blushing). She explained that she had been looking for a rental company that had white leather furniture and hadn't been able to find one yet for an event she was planning for quite the demanding bride. She came across Event Rentals Unlimited in our section "An Atlanta Occasion" and low and behold... a picture of a white leather couch provided by Event Rentals Unlimited. She called. She booked. She told them she found them in Atlanta OCCASIONS Magazine. The End.

Client. Vendor. Gap. Bridged... all by a MAGAZINE.


1 comment:

Rob Bowen said...

I agree with you 100% as long as the magazine is a directory type magazine as what you have! A specific area of interest magazine is still very useful because it is being used as a guide not as a traditional magazine. This is what people want now a days. People can read articles on the internet and save their money especially in these times. But there is still value in having a guide for someone to find something specific!